Geroge Marks constructed the Matlock Incline which was 0.5 mile long up a gradient of 1 in 5. It was a single track with a passing loop. Two stationary engines pulled an endless chain at 6mph. The two double decker cars used grippers and could hop on and off the chain. The line opened in 1893 and closed in 1927. The line went from the centre of Matlock up the hill to the baths at Matlock bank. The stationary engines were steam powered and the cable could be stopped easily using a clutch. The cable was sunk in a conduit below the ground all the way from Crown Square to the depot in Wellington st. Major features were the sharp curves, particularly problematic was the two cables running in the same conduit at these sharp curves. Although a single track there are passing places where the cars can pass each other. At the at the top of the line the car had to release from the up cable and change to the down cable.
Many Thanks to John Palmer for the photo's (two are from Alan Ankers) Take a look at the Wirksworth website