There have been three inclines at this site. The two old inclines were at this site, one brought wagons from the Devon Great Consols Mine and the other transfering trafic from the Tavistock canal to the river tamar. Both were originally powered by waterwheels but latterly a steam engine powered the inclines. These inclines were 1138mm gauge and connected to a series of sidings. Remnents of the inclines and their route are still visible and some parts are preserved at Morwhellham Quay Historic Port and Copper Mine Open air Museum. The sidings have been restored to their original condition.
Diagram of Inclines
Old Postcard of the incline
The third incline was constructed in 1933 to aid the construction of the Hydro electric power station