National Grid Ref NJ 9613 5665
The horse is constructed of quartz on Mormond hill. It is 162' long by 126' high. The slope is not steep but the design offers a good views of the horse. The horse was cleaned in 1937, 1949, 1968, 1970 and more recently in 1994.
There are many different stories as to the origin of the horse. One story and the most widely accepted is that the horse was cut by Captain Fraser (family of the laird of Strichen) whose horse was shot from under him in a Dutch battle in 1794. A sergeant Henderson offered him his horse but he was shot dead during this and upon his return Captin Fraser cut the horse as a memorial to him. Another account suggests that Captain Fraser saw the Uffington horse and on his return to Strichen he cut the horse. The exact date of construction is unknown but is around the late 1790's.
Reproduced with kind permission of Dae Sasitorn and Adrian Warren - www.lastrefuge.co.uk
The horse from a distance
Image produced from the Ordnance Survey Get-a-map service. Image reproduced with kind permission of Ordnance Survey and Ordnance Survey of Northern Ireland.
Grid Ref NJ 9858 5691
The stag is much larger than the nearby horse cut about 150m above sea level. The stag is in good condition although the surrounding heather grows quickly and is growing was on the figure during my last visit. There are plans to spray the figure. It it 240' long and unlike the other figures it is constructed from quartz rocks approx. 5" diameter. It is becoming increasingly difficult to see from the ground due to tree growth blocking the view.
The stag was made further round the same hill feature as the horse in 1870 by the tenants of the Laird to commemorate his wedding. There is some disagreement as to its original form, an outline figure or solid figure, but it has at some stage been in outline only. It is now a solid figure. The stag was cleaned in 1939, 1946, 1955, 1984 and more recently in 1994/95.
The Stag before and after filling
The Stag from a distance