National Grid Reference TQ 3603 1278
The Ditchling cross was cut above Plumpton place, about 100' across it was a Greek style cross similar to the Bledlow cross. No remains can be seen from a distance, however it can be still seen close up. It is a V shaped trench now totally grass covered about 90' high and 6' wide. The cross piece is almost indistinguishable.
To visit the figure, park in Plumpton or up the bridleway (three spaces) which leads south from the Half Moon pub at the bend in the Lewes / Ditchling Rd. Follow this bridleway up the downs about halfway up there is a gate on the left. Follow this path for about 100 meters until the path bends into the next gully. At this point take the sheep track on the right which in 80 meters you will be in the center of a small clearing and the center of the cross.
TAKE CARE THIS IS A NATURE RESERVE KEEP TO THE PATHS
The cross's origins are unknown, it is said that the monks of Southover cut the cross for the souls of those lost in the Battle of Lewes in 1264. A memorial was placed in the center of the cross in 1924 to commemorate the victory of Simon de Montforth over Henry III at Lewes and it would be appropriate to summarise that the cross originally marked this event. This memorial was destroyed in 1977. The cross still existed as a V sectioned turf covered trench in 1972.
The Cross as it is now