National Grid Ref TL 495 532
The figures were cut into the southern part of Wandlebury camp a few miles south east of Cambridge. The exact date of of their construction is unknown, the earliest reference is 1605 although legend indicates a date nearer 300AD. The giants were lost around 1850.
The giants were partially excavated in 1954 and a whole group of figures were found although not all archaeologists agreed with the findings of this excavation carried out by T.C. Lethbridge.
The outline of some of the figures can still be seen on Wandelbury Hill.
Aerial Photo of the Excavations
Close up of the Excavated Goddess.
Close ups of the now grown over figures taken more recently by Ross Parish
Close ups of the now grown over figures taken late 2000 by Myself
A drawing of the Wandlebury figures, solid lines were excavated.
To visit the figures turn into the car park signed Wandelbury Country park from the A1307. Park here and follow the concrete path to the pond, maps are provided along the path. The figures are below the path where the pond is.
The Wallington graffiti (carved into a nearby church) which is remarkably similar to the sword welding image.
Many thanks to Ross Parish for this image