National Grid Ref TQ 5107 0095
The horse replaced an earlier one now lost on the same site, on high and over hill (Hindover hill). The horse is in reasonable condition and a lot of wooden boards are used to keep the chalk in place. The legs are not particularly well defined and there are rabbit burrows undermining parts of the horse. The horse is 93' long and 65' high. The area is fenced to prevent damage by livestock and the general public.
The new horse was cut in one night in February 1924 by John T Ade son of one of the first horse's creator William Ade. When repaired after being camouflaged during WWII only one of the horses front legs was put back. This was put back on 9/6/1949 along with other restoration to make the horse look as originally cut. This has now been further altered, one of the forelegs raised to give greater definition in 1983. The horse was restored in the early 1980s and in 1993. It is currently cared for by the national trust.
The Horse from Local Roads.
The Horse from Close Quarters on High and Over Hill.
Close Up view showing the reinforcing woodern boards