National Grid Ref SU 0497 6957
The Cherhill horse is cut high (800’) into a very steep slope on Cherhill down, a little below Oldbury castle. It faces NW overlooking the A4 and the village of Cherhill. The horse is 165’ by 220’ and in good condition made from very fine compacted chalk, the edges are well defined except for the head which is a little overgrown. The eye is unusual constructed of stone and concrete which is raised above the rest of the horse. The horse can be seen for quite a way along the A4 and the best viewing place is by the A4 below the horse, where there is a lay-by to park in on the westbound carriageway. There are footpaths from Cherhill village and from near the parking space with which to approach the horse.
The horse was cut in 1780 by Dr Christopher Alsop and was well designed, as it is well proportioned when seen from the ground. The horse was scoured regularly and in 1935 a mixture of concrete and chalk was used. It was camouflaged during the war. It was last scoured in 1994. Also known as the Oldbury White Horse it is under the care of Cherhill parish council.
Reproduced with kind permission of Dae Sasitorn and Adrian Warren - www.lastrefuge.co.uk
The Horse from a Distance
The Horse from the Air
Photos courtesy of Ron Dobree-Carey and Mel Morris Jones
The Restoration Summer 2002
Photos courtesy of Bill Daly